Experienced teachers wanted to support disadvantaged students!
About the opportunity
Action Tutoring is an education charity that supports disadvantaged young people to achieve meaningful qualifications on leaving primary and secondary school. This enables them to progress in education, employment or training. We partner our brilliant volunteer tutors with school pupils to increase their subject knowledge, whilst building on confidence and study skills.
We will place you as an English or maths tutor in one of our partner schools. You will work with one or two pupils for an hour a week across the course of a school term; either before, during or after the school day. Sessions are delivered on the school premises at the same time each week; we also have one-off volunteering opportunities. We provide all of our tutors with training and resources, and we will also process a free DBS check for you.
About Action Tutoring
We deliver tutoring programmes, in partnership with schools, to support disadvantaged pupils across the country. Education isn’t a level playing field in the UK today, as the income of a child’s parents can directly impact their own academic attainment.
We want to change this through our tutoring support for both primary and secondary pupils – and help pupils achieve regardless of their backgrounds. We recognise how powerful tutoring can be in supporting a child academically and we believe it shouldn’t be accessed only by those who can afford it.
The way we deliver our programmes is by recruiting volunteers as our tutors. Through this activity our volunteers are able to develop a wealth of different skills (interpersonal, organisational, communication), it also provides a link between them and the youngest members of their community – empowering them to give back.
We currently work in seven cities and areas across England: Birmingham, Bristol, Liverpool, London, Newcastle, Sheffield and Sussex (Brighton, Seaford, Hastings, Shoreham and Hove).
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for people who want to support pupils to succeed. Currently only 30% of young people from disadvantaged backgrounds achieve the grades needed to progress in education, employment or training, for the other 70% their options are significantly restricted.
As volunteers, you will act as positive adult role models for the pupils you support – whatever your background or experiences you can inspire ambition in them. We want our tutors to feel confident in the subject they are leading on, so we ideally would like you to have achieved a B or above in this subject, or similar, at A Level (or in an equivalent qualification) and have achieved, or be studying for, a degree. Experience working with young people is helpful but not essential. All volunteers must be willing to undergo a DBS check.
We will pay travel expenses of up to £5 per tutoring session attended.
Our opportunities can be done with friends and we currently have volunteers aged 18-83 years, from all different backgrounds, including students, working professionals and retired individuals.
Teamwork, interpersonal, organisational, leadership, listening, mentoring.
How to apply
Simply complete the online application form here: http://www.tfaforms.com/